Friday, February 5, 2010

My Sausage Story: Frog and Piggy


Sausages are an international delight that can contain a virtual zoo of animal bits. Although it's generally best not to ask, I'm always a little curious.

My favorite sausage story came from when I was travelling in Portugal.

Upon reaching this gorgeous meaty restaurant in Porto, my friend Kimi and I were curious as to what was in the sausages. Little did we know that the following exercise was an excellent way to learn the names of animals in a foreign language.
I would draw a chicken, he would say galinha and shake his head
I would draw a horse, he would say cavalo and shake his head.
I would draw a frog, he would look at me funny, say rã and shake his head
And then I drew an octopus.
He then asked something to the effect of, "What the F kind of Sausages have you been eating in France"
I then explained, in sort of this mangled French/Latin/English/Italian, that I didn't know anything about Portugal. And what the hell else could be in the sausage?

He said merely, "carne de porco idiota"*
And I thought it was weird that I hadn't guessed pork before frog.


*In my mind, he actually couldn't have been nicer

No comments:

Post a Comment